About Me

My photo
A wannabe politician, determined to make a mark in the national political arena. Presently employed in a global outsourcing firm. Family & Friends are my only assets. My greatest strength are my brothers & My biggest liability Laziness. This blog is dedicated to my urge to write on issues that bother me and those that have touched me.

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Parenting, MS Dhoni way- But in the 1990s.


Simple, adequately literate, clad always in a south Indian saree and a disciplinarian, that’s all it took to describe her. Kids had a mix of love and healthy anger for her. Never had them miss a class, even it means missing a wedding in the family, every day the study hour was holier than anything be it diwali or New year, they were always o n time to school, did their home work and never stayed awake beyond 8.30 pm. She had a simple formula for parenting, first things first, love not indulgence and bigger picture mattered (Family, Studies and career).

She did a MS Dhoni way back in 1990, by passing the baton of upbringing to her husband beyond a certain age and he had the courage to allow his wards to pursue their interest, Economics when MBA was the fad, physics instead of engineering and many more choices of passion rather than herd madness. Above, sense of value they showcased, no donations even it meant missing a college of choice. They broke the bad news, made children understand and face reality, economics of home was information that was always available so they could know what choices existed. Spending was always a function of income not a result of desire. They had rollicking time as a family, money did not come in the way of happiness.

My parents are a living example of being ambitious about whole life not just some bits of it. Sure we are not Sunder Pichai or Satyam Nadella ..yet J, but they have given us a life 10 times more than they had. This is the power of vision, of an empowered women and her husband. I did wish her on women’s day, when she was doing her daily chores, as always, and she didn’t know that existed, well she didn’t need to, she was always empowered shaping dreams, life and much more..  I wish, I had the commitment of becoming one such parent, but she had taught us to try.  

No comments: